Sub Title

A Newfoundland Photography and Knitting Blog by Betty Nolan

Wednesday, December 5, 2012

I'm in a Quandary, Ellen!

Here I am busy as a beaver knitting things for December birthdays and Christmas and can't share any of it with you because the people I am making presents for, follow the blog. Hmmm... what to do? Ellen suggested that I make a couple of small items and share those. Then photograph the rest of the stuff (so she can get the chance to model it before it goes out the door!) and share those items with you after Dec 25.  Pretty good idea I thought. So let's do that!

I'm working on a couple of new patterns too. We can share those when they are finished. But, for today we'll show you the Christmas ball that I recently made. I bought the book "55 Christmas Balls to Knit" by Arne and Carlos - the same guys who wrote the Knitted Dolls book where I found the pattern for Leezel. 55 Christmas Balls is a delightful book! The day after I received it, I sat with a cup of tea and leafed through just looking at the patterns and reading the short stories that accompany the patterns. The book has a magical feel that I wanted to keep with me the whole of the holiday season. Most of the time, I just want to do "quick knits" that can be completed in a minimal amount of time. Reading this book and knitting a Christmas ball from it brought me back to the "process" of knitting, which is much more thoughtful. 

Didn't mean to do a book review there, but, by the same token, that book deserves a great review. I will definitely leaf through it again and again, and hopefully get the chance to make more Christmas balls. The one I made will be sent off to Andrea and Stephan for their new Christmas tree. It's knit with 100% wool and has fleece stuffing (just like Leezel). I did knit it a bit tight, but none of the stuffing will ever get out! Next one I will use larger needles.  :-)




No comments:

Post a Comment