Sub Title

A Newfoundland Photography and Knitting Blog by Betty Nolan

Friday, June 29, 2012

Let's Go For A Walk, Ellen!

Ellen would have thought that she needed that scarf she is wearing when I went to Quidi Vidi (we pronounce it "Kiddy Viddy") this morning to walk the trail. When I arrived the sun had come out but there were still a few puddles around from the rain over the past couple of days and a cool breeze blowing. I wasn't very far along when I had to take off my sweater and tie it around my waist.

The rowers were out practicing for the Royal St. John's Regatta which happens the first Wednesday in August. Alana (oldest daughter) and her team are rowing in the Regatta this year. May the wind be at your backs ladies (going up and down the lake)!  :-)

No trouble to get doggie paparazzi shots today! Ducklings too! 

At first I couldn't tell if the fog at the other end of the lake was coming or going, but by the time I walked to that area, it was sunny with a light cool breeze, so I determined the fog was on its way out. (smile)

The City of St. John's has done a wonderful job of upgrading the trail around the lake while keeping the marshes and rugged beauty intact. There is an off-leash dog park, skateboard park, playground, look-out posts and picnic areas. The trail has been widened and the boardwalks are perfect. It's such a pleasant place to walk on a nice day like today. The app on my phone said I walked 3.9 kms. Delighted with myself!

Oh yes, the scarf! It's for a customer. It's hand knit from Argosy Lotus Blossom which is a sport weight 80% superfine Merino wool and 20% cashmere. Very nice to knit and light as a feather! I have to sew in the ends and block it today in preparation for shipping on Tuesday.

Lots of pictures here today. There was a lot to see!











View across the lake

Is that fog coming or going?!

Skateboard park

One of a couple of playgrounds - too early for the youngsters I guess.

One of a few picnic areas


Investigator  :-)

Rain still on leaves

Part of the trail built around a small cliff

They've installed a dam but kept it pretty!



Berries on a tree that look like blueberries -
huckleberries maybe?

Dogberry blossoms

Steps here on the right allow you to go sit on the rocks by the edge of the lake.

Wild rose



No comments:

Post a Comment