Sub Title

A Newfoundland Photography and Knitting Blog by Betty Nolan

Saturday, February 18, 2012

Brrrrr, Ellen!

Lately in our area we've had some serious rainfall.  Apparently, historically Newfoundland receives approximately 60 mm of rain in February. This past week one newscaster Tweeted that so far this month we have received double that with 10 days to go. Combine all that rainfall with melting snow and you have "a lot" of water around, which when freezes, makes for some pretty strange ice formations.

The other day I was down around Fort Amherst and Southside Road 'again' (one of my favourite places). I took a bunch of pictures of ice to show you. (We'll do Fort Amherst in another post.) You can see that some of the icicles are frozen sort of sideways. The wind does that. Actually when I was walking along the road taking pictures, even though it was a nice day, I could feel the cold coming off the ice. Brrr...

Ellen didn't come along with me that day because I didn't have anything for her to model. However, we did manage to machine knit a sweater for Alana and Ellen modelled that this evening near home. This sweater is machine knit sideways with decreases and increases for sleeve openings. Then stitches are picked up around the open sections and the sleeves knit top-down. The sleeve seams are on top of the shoulder and down the outside part of the arm, not under the arm. It's knit with Knit Picks Wool of the Andes Sport. This is an idea I had and wanted to try. I'm pleased with the outcome. So is Ellen!



























No comments:

Post a Comment