Sub Title

A Newfoundland Photography and Knitting Blog by Betty Nolan

Saturday, August 13, 2011

LOL Ellen! That's a Funny Hat!

Ellen thinks this hat is simply gorgeous!  She says it's original - one-of-a-kind.  She's right of course, but I think it's a funny hat because of the colours.  It's a "prototype" hat.  I've looked at umpteen hat patterns and have never found what I'm looking for - a floppy brim hat.  So, I thought I'd design one.  I used yarn left over from a blanket that I made for my youngest daughter last Fall.  Then part way through, ran out of pink so had to "go green".  :-)  The pattern needs to be worked on a little more because the light pink part is supposed to be on the edge of the top, sort of like a top hat and the depth needs to be a bit longer.  This is a good example of "combo knitting", which means that it's partially machine knit and partially hand knit.  Anyway, we'll do it again and again until it's right.  Be sure to keep an eye out for it in the weeks ahead.

Speaking of heads - hard to model a hat when you don't have a head?  That Ellen!  She's such an acrobat.  She can balance a glass dish and a hat (with a little help from two-sided tape!)  :-) It's one of my favourite glass dishes and she didn't even drop it.

The modelling took place at the east end of the Harbour Apron in St. John's.  As you can see, it's a beautiful day.









No comments:

Post a Comment