Sub Title

A Newfoundland Photography and Knitting Blog by Betty Nolan

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Ellen Got Sashed!

In April/May this year I designed and made a wedding dress for my middle daughter who is getting married October 1. I think I mentioned in a previous post that I'll post pictures of the dress after the wedding. In the meantime, after the dress was finished, my daughter and I decided that maybe it needed a sash for the waist and my daughter said that a big bow on the back would be a welcome addition.  I've been working on the design of the sash and bow. Did one and frogged it because the bow would end up being too small and it rolled too much. The second version is now machine knit so Ellen was up for trying it on.  There's still quite a bit of work to do because it has to be hand finished with crochet.  I've included a photo of the materials that have made up the dress.  The sash is made from Knit Picks lace weight Shimmer. I'll provide dress fibre details at the time of posting.  The sash will be hand finished with Knit Picks Aloft and Tilli Tomas Beaded Plie.  I'll show you that part when I get it done.  In the meantime, the Catherine Purse is coming along - made from the same fibres as the dress. Ellen wanted to hold that as well to show you the progress. The lining is purchased so we'll soon be ready to finish it up.

After knitting the sash, I decided to walk to the nearby park (with a pond) that is home to two geese who I've been feeding a few times per week for the past four years as well as ducks and their ducklings.  Today, it was such a nice day that I brought the camera so I could show you my good friends. I thought about taking Ellen to the pond, but the geese hiss at strangers and I wouldn't want Ellen to feel like a stranger. Duck Ellen!

Oh! The orange flowers are in our back yard and the cat hangs out near the pond on sunny days.































































































































































2 comments:

  1. Look forward to seeing this wedding dress. Will Ellen be modeling it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ellen has already modelled the wedding dress before I sent it to my daughter in Toronto (without the sash). I'm sure Ellen will ask my daughter if she can model it again, with the sash, before the wedding. :-)

    ReplyDelete